Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Counting Chickens

Amy and I have been taking phone calls and responding to emails the last couple of days. People wanting the back story. People offering advice. Others wanting to know "what people think."

As I've told them, if I was a pollster (I'm not, nor do I aspire to be), I'd count up the comments and come to one conclusion. If I was a politician (again, not), I'd line up the influencers and lobby them to one point of view. If I was a spy, I might trust the one self-described clued-in informer. If I was a chicken farmer, I'd wait until the eggs hatched, then count the chickens.

We've relearned that every initiative really IS like the blind men and the elephant. Every person has their own perspective and no one can personally experience any other's point of view. When someone asks, "What does the community think?" no one can credibly respond.

I don't know what our community thinks.

We've received various reports about what the Riding The Wave Founding Board decided in their meeting this morning. I won't comment further. I understand that members of that Board will be present at tomorrow's meeting. Better that they speak for themselves.

I'm confident only that we now have a better informed consideration of this conundrum. I'm hopeful for chickens, but I'm not counting even one little red hen until I see what hatches in tomorrow's meeting.

No comments: