Sunday, July 22, 2007

Clueless

Following Thursday's meeting, many people went back to what good Walla Wallans do best: whispering in the hallways, wondering what in the heck happened. Some sent emails. Others called. I made a few calls myself.

There's an old adage that says if the only explanation you can muster for another's behavior is that they're crazy or evil, you don't understand their perspective well enough to even complain about it. Well, I left Thursday's meeting deeply concerned that I didn't understand some of the perspectives nearly well enough, because a few people's perspectives seemed crazy or evil to me.

The easy path, one we're all too familiar with, is to cognitively shoot the upsetting messenger. This is what we do whenever we decide that another is crazy or evil, rather than continue to try to understand. I know the alternative is tough. It can be painful, especially when understanding means letting loose of some cherished certainty. But understanding doesn't mean you'll agree with anything they spout, just that you understand and accept their perspective as valid---not some variant on crazy or evil.

There is not, never was, and never will be any guarantee that such generosity will be reciprocated by anyone.

I am grateful for the many appreciations I've received for the transparency of this blog. I received only one off-the-record complaint about the transparency. (Irony intended.)

What will happen next? I believe, though I don't get to vote on this, that the Port will perfect their contract with EWU to make available data more public before year-end. And that the roll-out will be gratefully received.

I'm hopeful that this project will inspire Riding The Wave to operate in a more transparent way. I've learned over the last month that while most voiced unqualified support for Riding The Wave, none (not one!) were able to explain what it actually is without obliquely referring to a model everyone seems to have interpreted quite differently. While it's seductive for people like me to conclude that RTW must be crazy or evil, I intend to get more and better information so I can understand where they've come from and where they're going. I might not join them for the ride, but I'm certain I'm currently clueless about what they represent. I'd better put on my detective hat!

While the Port demonstrates transparency and RTW decides what they want to be, Amy and I are off to our next projects.

As my Uncle Bob used to say, "See ya in the funny papers!" david schmaltz

No comments: